WHY SUN PROTECTION
Only 5% of UV sunlight reaches our earth, anyway, this radiation is extremely strong. There are several types of sun rays:
- In the range of infrared is perceived as heat.
- In the visible spectrum as color.
- In the ultraviolet region as the result of photobiological reactions. Such reactions may ultimately stimulate melanin production and tanning, or lead to altered genetic information and to aberrant cell behavior.
UV radiation & negative effects:
- UVA = aging
- UVB = burning
- UVC = cytotoxic
While UVC rays are blocked by the ozone layer, UVA and UVB rays reach the earth and thus affect us and the condition of our skin.
Of course, the sun is extremely important because of the much-needed vitamin D, but nowadays all experts agree that it would be more sensible to add it to the diet than to overexpose yourself to the sun.
There is also a growing awareness that sunscreens should be a crucial part of regular daily skincare routine, to avoid unnecessary damage from sun exposure. Not forget, a suitable sunscreen has also proven to be the best protection against skin aging.
Does a High SPF Really Protect Better?
It is very important for the skin that sunscreen works on both types of sun rays, UVA and UVB. UVB rays are to blame for the immediate reaction of the skin, i.e. sunburn and play a key role in the development of skin cancer. Basicly, the label for the SPF (sun protection factor) refers mainly to protection against UVB rays.
But we should not rule out protection also against UVA, which in addition to burns also causes other skin damage, which due to cell DNA changes causes the accumulation of pigment, unpleasant dark spots, as well as photoaging and many wrinkles.
It’s very important to choose the right protection.
After all, a sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays is also an ideal anti-aging treatment, as it prevents skin aging caused by sunlight.
What, in Essence, Does the SPF Talk About?
The SPF number is a factor that tells us how long the sunscreen protects the skin if applied in the correct amount, compared to unprotected skin. In practice, this means that, under ideal circumstances, SPF 30 protects the skin for 30 minutes if burns appear within 1 minute.
The formula is simple: the SPF prolongs the protection by 1 minute x 30.
Assuming that burns appear on unprotected skin within 10 minutes, this means that on skin protected by SPF 30, burns appear after 300 minutes. And, if we use SPF 50, in 500 minutes.
SPF 30 transmits 3% of UV rays, while factor 50 only 2%. The difference is minimal at first glance, so we may ignore it at first.
Nevertheless, if we take into account that this value is 50% higher in favour of SPF 50, it quickly becomes clear that the difference in sun protection is obvious.
Still, for those at high risk for skin cancer, actinic keratosis, or genetic diseases such as albinism and certain immune disorders, SPF 50 may not be enough. Same goes for some activities that are subject to higher risks: such as skiing at high altitude or sailing somewhere near the equator. That is why, SPF 50 and more is recommended for all outdoor activities.
Regardless of the high SPF, it should also be taken into account that the sun protection cream or fluid is applied at least 30 minutes before going out in the sun and that the application is renewed regularly, at least every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating, even if the product is waterproof.
So What is the Best Strategy for Us, Outdoor Activities Lovers?
Don’t rely only on high-SPF and UV range of sunscreens, but also on the strong shadow. Don’t expose the skin for too long if it’s really not necessary. If so, use appropriate clothing, as well as hats and sunglasses with UV protection.
Investing in the right amount of sun protection is a good investment for the future as well. Let’s not forget: The chance of developing permanent damage increases with the dose of sunlight accumulated over a lifetime.
RILASTIL TOP-Quality Clinically Tested Line
RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM are distinguished only by the best:
- superior sun protection, antioxidant action, as it neutralizes free radicals and thus prevents oxidative stress, prevents photo damage and restores skin elasticity
- high UVB and UVA protection
- suitable for sensitive skin,
- reduces the possibility of eye irritation
- tested on 5 metals (nickel, cobalt, chromium, palladium, mercury),
- the whole line is biodegradable and does not harm the aquatic ecosystem
- developed without animal testing
- clinically tested.
What to Choose?
For the face
- RILASTIL AK-REPAIR MD 100+, medical treatment for actinic keratosis, 99% protection, 50 ml
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM ACNESTIL PHOTOPROTECTIVE cream, treatment for sensitive acne and problem skin, SPF 50+, 40 ml
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM AGE REPAIR cream, treatment for all skin types, prevents and repairs existing photodamage, corrects glycation of collagen and elastin tissues, SPF 50+, 40 ml
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM COMFORT MATT cream, treatment for oily and combination skin, which mattifies oily skin, SPF 50+, 40 ml
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM WATER TOUCH FLUID light, liquid fluid that does not contain fragrance and is suitable for sensitive skin, SPF 50+, 50ml
For body and sensitive areas
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM STICK, treatment for sensitive areas, lips and scars, SPF 50+, 8.5 ml
- RILASTIL SUN SYSTEM DRY TOUCH, transparent protective spray, SPF 50+, 200 ml